Ok Skip

Yes .. but .. looking at  it  from over here .. Technically the  situation
looks  a  little  quaint ..

What  happens between  145 and  220  meg to  enable the  mode ..the  concept
is the  same . so it  cannot be based on intercept ability ..that only  leaves
bandwidth ?

Something must of  driven the  'need'  for the  clause in the  first place ?
(my licence bans  pulse tx  below 10 GHz .. but  all these  mfsk  systems
transmit pulses .. long ones , but pulses just the  same)

How  old is the  FFC  220 meg  rule  on SS  , what  is the  actual  text of the
 clause ?

Yes  your  right  and as originally  posted , the frequency allocation is
randomised by a  PG string added  to the  data , obvious way to  go  really ..
but 'we' where locked into  psk at the  time … but  data  manipulation  cannot
be the reason for the 220 clause as  the system may be used over this frequency

I suspect that  in the  mind of the 220  author , spread  spectrum equated to
high spectrum usage , hence the  high vhf  allocation to  what i assume (in
those  days) was an experimenters band ?

To quote  from  wiki

Spread" radio signal over a wide frequency range several magnitudes higher than
minimum requirement. The core principle of spread spectrum is the use of
noise-like carrier waves, and, as the name implies, bandwidths much wider than
that required for simple point-to-point communication at the same data rate.

Pure  tone  bursts within a audio channel 500 Hz  , 100 Hz or  50  Hz , do  not
 quite  compare to   what  is  normally associated with SS ?  ..  May be its
time  for  some  one to  ask  again ,? ,

G .