Hi Fred, see below.

Fred R. Beck wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, 2009-02-21 at 21:21 -0700, Fred R. Beck wrote:
I am trying to port GTK+DirectFB to the COWON O2. This PMP uses the DaVinci chipset with an embedded ARM9. My first go around was to assemble all of the necessary libraries and then build a GTK test app. I'd started to build a custom input driver but wanted to give the TSL and DirectFB defaults a go first. The micro-Linux running on the O2 has no support for shared objects so all the libraries and test app are build static.

When running my test app (see: http://wingtk.sourceforge.net/ishan/sliders.html), I was able to capture the following output:

   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| DirectFB 1.3.0 |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        (c) 2001-2008  The world wide DirectFB Open Source COmmunity
        (c) 2000-2004  Convergence (integrated media) GmbH

(*) DirectFB/Core: Single Application Core. (2009-02-09 06:50)
(!) DirectFB/core/system: No system found!
(#) DirectFBError [gdk_display_open: DirectFBCreate]: no (suitable) implementation found!

Have you tried to run a much simpler DirectFB test application? You
should first verify that DirectFB works at all before you proceed to
something as complex as a GTK+ application. The DirectFB-examples
package has some simple test applications you can try.

Sven
You are absolutely right. I just wanted to get a first pass through where I could try a smoke test. The error I saw looks more like a configuration error than anything else so thought I'd ask... Since I configured everything to be built static (target platform only supports static apps) I'm not sure what "modules" - if any - are required. I configured with tslib but am not confident that will do everything I need. The example SDK from the vendor uses ioctl() rather than reads for interfacing to the kernel device.

Because of that, I took a look at the elo and dynapro input drivers and generated one for the target platform - cowon_o2. However, this brought up another question. In the main input thread, cowon_o2TouchEventThread(), I need to watch for power events and notify the core to perform a graceful shutdown when they are triggered. When I do detect a power event, what is the best way to notify for a shutdown? I could just call my driver_close_device() and exit, but that seems anything but graceful. I don't see anything like this in any of the other input drivers, so would appreciate a pointer.

This is not something usually done at this input driver level.
DirectFB has the concept of emercency shutdown, but that is only viable for, well, emergencies. I would suggest to solve it client-side, so watch incoming keys (e.g. do a Window::GrabKey for your power key), and do a proper IDirectFB::Release to shutdown DirectFB.

Thanks.
Fred