It is used for virtual desktops.  ie.  plane is larger than viewable space.
It is also frequently used for buffering.  Where you will display the
next frame, or series of frames in offscreen memory, and swap your x,y
position on vsync to 'flip buffers'.
I have seen it used in implementations for vertical scroll, since
panning is much less expensive than many horizontal writes on graphics
hardware.