I am trying to solve a  tearing issue that I am see when using directfb

I am running a qt 5.2 example application on DirectFb 1.7.6 on an embedded
platforms with a 3.10 linux kernel.
The resolution is 800 by 480 and the frame buffer drivers provides a double
buffer of 800 by 960.
There is no video memory and the driver allocates the frame buffer in system
memory

When I used the command line parameter  --dfb:desktop-buffer-mode=backvideo
directfb recognizes the double buffer:

(*) FBDev/Mode: Switched to 800x480 (virtual 800x960) at 32 bit (RGB32), pitch
3200

However when I use --dfb:desktop-buffer-mode=backsystem I get :

(*) FBDev/Mode: Switched to 800x480 (virtual 800x480) at 32 bit (RGB32), pitch
3200

Can someone please explain this discrepancy?
Why can't I use the double buffer when specifying back system? Additionally
when I specify backvideo the frame drops drastically and I still see the
tearing.

Any insight is appreciated. I have the read archived post on the difference
between backvideo and back system over here
http://mail.directfb.org/pipermail/directfb-users/2009-September/001886.html

Regards,
Arun Ramamurthy