On 8/9/07, Johnathan Corgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It is possible to retain only the upper eight bits of each sample and
> pack these into two bytes such that the USB can carry 16 Msps complex;
> this gives you more passband bandwidth at the expense of dynamic range.

Now that I know it can be done, how do I retain the upper eight bits of each
sample?
Is there code already written to do this? I'd like to maximize the passband
bandwidth.

Advanced applications of the USRP involve re-synthesizing the FPGA
> firmware and performing DSP operations directly on the samples coming
> from the ADCs before handing off the data to the USB.  This
> theoretically gives you access to the entire 64 MHz receive bandwidth;
> however, there isn't a great deal of space on the FPGA for custom code,
> and the expertise/development time/debugging/pain involved is much
> higher than just using GNU Radio on the host.

I'll spare myself the pain and be content with a 16 MHz passband bandwidth.

You have been most helpful. Thank you.