Hi and thanks for the help, yes ive run it (and ive renamed the block to
'test' instead of 'howto_2' but i still get something wrong obviously
because when running the test script i get this error:

  File "./qa_test.py", line 6, in <module>
    from gnuradio import gr, gr_unittest, test
  File "/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/test.py", line 21, in
<module>
    import _test
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/_test.so, 2):
Symbol not found: __ZTV14test_double_ff
  Referenced from: /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/_test.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

it seems like there is something wrong in the swig-generated _test.so file
but how to fix that i have no idea?