On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Bob McGwier <rwmcgw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So,  pardon me but,  is this a pretty picture exercise or a real detection
> problem?  If it is a detection problem,  then you might as well just
> compress to the largest value in the bins to be pushed together so you
> assure that your threshold is exceeded when it should be.  If it is a pretty
> picture problem,  just prevent scalloping by any old heuristic, just make it
> as fleet of calculation feet as possible and throw in some pretty grassy
> stuff to make it look nice.

Amen to that.

To say so is not to dismiss the level of art required by heuristic grass,
however. That's pretty much what MELP adds, and it makes a world of
difference to the user.

Frank

--
For an omnipotent and omniscient being, God has made some really lousy
earthly staffing decisions. -- John Cole