I'm not an expert on the matter, but I suspect that the XCVR2450 board
requires some sort of command to select the 5GHz band, which would need to
be implemented in the sounder's FPGA code.
At a chip rate of 32MHz, you have a resolution of 3e8/32e6 meters. The
length of the PN sequence determines the maximum unambiguous distance at
which multipaths can be detected. So with a degree-12 sequence, you have
(2^12 - 1)*3e8 meters to work with. With long sequences, however, you are
limited by the capabilities of the USRP. Depending on your DBoard, you have
~20mW of output. Your antenna also makes a big difference. Especially if you
want to do any work outside, I would use something like a log-periodic
antenna. If you can get your hands on an amplifier, you can significantly
boost your range.
In my experience (with a sounder of my own design), averaging multiple IR's
appreciably reduces the noise.

While I'm at it, can anyone explain why a complex correlation vector is
coming out of the sounder FPGA? Doesn't a mathematical correlation return
real values?

Jordan