On 10/19/2010 12:21 PM, Jorge Miguel wrote:
> Hi Marcus!
>
> How do you get the 85 dB value? Is the Intermodulation distorsion of
> the page 3 ADC datasheet?
In the "features" list for the LTC2284:

72.4dB SNR, 88dB SFDR

SFDR is "spur-free dynamic range".

> I am not an expecienced engineer (I am recent graduated) but I was
> thinking about the maximun and minimum input powers to be linearly
> detected in the USRP receiver.

> I thought the ADC as a good point to start with and then see what is
> going on in the XCVR2450 transceiver
>
> At the ADC point, it is said that is has 2volts p-p dynamic range.
> This value can give us the maximun power input at the ADC provided the
> input impedance.(Good question. What is the input impedance? I cannot
> see it in the ADC datasheet)

> P=(V^2)/R
>
> Is it right? In other post I can read:/"ADC's datasheet, we need 2Vp-p
> to fully utilise its dynamic range.  The input impedance of the ADC is
> around 220ohms so this is equal to an input signal level of about
> 6dBm.  If you go above this you will get saturation."/
> I do the calculations and it doesn't match!!!
The LTC2284 can be configured for either 1VP-P or 2VP-P.  I believe the
USRP2 uses 1VP-P configuration.

Generally, with ADCs, you ascribe roughly 6dB of dynamic range per bit,
this is a 14-bit A/D.

> Before the ADC is the XCVR2450, with all RF components. Each one of
> then has its Noise figure and some of them gain such us the power
> amplifier or the Maxim.
>
> You said that /"The XCVR2450 does have gain control, but it is solely
> under control of  the host software"/. Besides the ones I mentioned,
> is there any other place with gain?

The MAX2829 has roughly 93dB of RX gain-control range--that's right on
the data sheet, and is "exposed" to the API inside Gnu Radio.
  When you create a source, you can specify the gain (actually, you can
change it dynamically as well).

> Is it the correct way of calculating the dynamic range?
> I really need help.
>
> Thanks,
> Jorge.

The LTC2284 A/D is a 14-bit A/D.  The maximum input voltage the way it's
configured is 0.707Vrms.  Divide that by the
  2^14, and that's roughly your minimum input voltage.  In general,
though you take a little bit off the top and add a little
  bit onto the bottom of the range.

Google is your friend.  I'd suggest looking up "ADC noise floor dynamic
range".  Plenty of articles out there.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator