> Think of the on/off part as a control stream consisting of 1's and
> 0's.  Generate the control stream, and multiple the control stream by
> the carrier stream.
>
> Don't try to start and stop the graph or anything like that from
> python.
>
> You can probably generate the control stream with a
> gr.vector_source_f([<my-pattern>], True) followed by a dumb
> interpolator that will just replicate values.
>
>  my_pattern = [1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, ... ]
>  interp_factor = 1000   # scale the pattern up in time to match signal
>
>  ctrl_pattern = gr.vector_source_f(my_pattern, True)
>  ctrl_interp = gr.interp_fir_filter_fff(interp_factor, interp_factor*[1.0])
>
>  signal = <generate carrier>
>
>  mult = gr.multiple_ff()
>
>  sink = <something-downstream>
>

>  tb.connect(ctrl_pattern, ctrl_interp, (mult, 0))
>  tb.connect(signal, (mult, 1))
>  tb.connect(mult, sink)

One would think something like this would work, but I've noticed that even
if you're sending 0's to your usrp sink, the transmitter still puts out some
amount of power (plenty strong enough to be detectable via a spec-an). This
power goes away if you disable the transmitter via software. Does anybody
know anything about this phenomenon?

-Steven