On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Marcus D. Leech <mle...@ripnet.com> wrote:

> On 22/02/2011 9:26 AM, Patrick Strasser wrote:
>

>> I think this would be of great use. The FCB is based on the Softrock DDS
>> design, which evolved to a family of different solutions, with the
>> common factor of a stereo sound interface and a HID interface for
>> control like frequency, source multiplexer switch and filter banks.
>> AFAIK the HID commands are the same in most of these designs. Treating
>> the system as a single interface much like a USRP would get users rid of
>> extra programs and doing things every time over again.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
> I agree--having a slick UHD/USRP-like interface would be very cool, so that
> you can control it entirely from
>  within a GR flow-graph.

Well, implementing it as UHD device seems a bit overkill from a programming
point of view because one would have to implement the "audio source", which
is readily available in GNU Radio. So a GNU Radio source just like the old
pre-UHD USRP drivers seems to be most feasible.

I don't know much about the Softrock series, but I doubt they have much in
common with the FCD. Maybe the USB idea and the protocol structure, which
for the FCD is really trivial and simple streams of 1-4 bytes per command.
Most of the commands and parameters for the FCD map directly to the tuner
chip, which I assume is not present in the Softrocks - see attached
screenshot of the windows controller.

Alex