On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Thomas Nitsche <nitsc...@in.tum.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> we are doing some research here on decoding 802.11g using GNURadio. As far
> as i know there is code available for transmission of 802.11g frames on
> CGRAN but no receiver code. Is there any work going on for the receiver side
> right now? Is it theoretically possible to decode a signal received with the
> USRP N210? The bandwidth provided by the gigabit ethernet connection should
> be sufficient in contrast to the USRP1 USB connection, or am i wrong?

Thomas,
Yes, the N210 will handle the bandwidth of 802.11g.

> I had a look at the (generic) GNURadio OFDM mod/demod code but its kind of
> hard to understand whats going on there. I have reused the ofdm-sync-pm code
> to generate seemingly helpful frequency offset values from the 802.11 short
> training sequence. I also extracted timing information by correlating with
> the known short sequence. However i am not sure if this synchronization is
> accurate enough for at least a few fft blocks.
>
> Is there anything like:
>
> fine timing/frequency correction,

Yes, provided by the ofdm_sync block in ofdm_receiver.py.

> sampling offset correction,

Yes, also provided by the ofdm_sync block in ofdm_receiver.py.

channel estimation or

Yes, in ofdm_frame_acq in ofdm_receiver.py.

> code for using pilot tone subcarriers

No. That's one of the biggest gaps in the current implementation.

> in the generic GNURadio ofdm implementation that could be reused for a
> 802.11g receiver? What is with the code for extracting infos from the
> subcarriers? Would it be easier to rewrite it from scratch or can some of
> the gnuradio code be reused?
>
> Thanks for any information you can provide,
> Thomas

It should be a place to start, but it'll probably take some work (though
hopefully less than starting from scratch). For getting the subcarriers, you
probably want to look at the gr_ofdm_frame_sink block.

Tom