I figured it out. The USRP input must have an input amplitude between 0 and
32767. When the amplitude was low the signal power was below noise so I
couldn't see anything in the FFT. When I raised it to 20000 I was able to
see the peak around ( signal frequency +/-  offset ).

Marcus about your statements about the SAW filter; I will know a little more
about it first from the mail archive and then ask more about it. I don't
know anything about it yet so before I ask you something more about it I
want to do a little homework myself.

Thanks