On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Ben Reynwar <b...@reynwar.net> wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Josh Blum <j...@joshknows.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 05/23/2011 03:29 AM, Vlad Stoianovici wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear Marcus and Bob,
> >> I did understand that the block was hollow, but this thread is kindda
> old,
> >> so I thought that in the mean time maybe someone implemented the code
> and
> >> functionality you are referring to.
> >> I'm using GRC, but I don't have time to start learning python with the
> sole
> >> purpose of being able to write the QAM block.
> >> It would probably be easier to use Simulink, which I'd rather not do.
> >>

> > This is a motivating example for a new gr-digital component that can
> > make use of tags: the QAM deframer block. :-)
> >
> > -josh
>
> In the psk8 branch of my github repo
> (www.github.com/benreynwar/gnuradio/) there is QAM modulation and
> demodulation within the "digital" category of GRC.  I haven't tested
> it recently though.  Let me know if you try it and it doesn't work.
>
> Cheers,
> Ben

Ben's branch is based off of my 8psk branch in github, too. I still need to
pull in his changes. I have a feeling we might be going back and forth a bit
in the development of the gr-digital top-level directory. This will make it
into the upcoming 'next' branch for the 3.5 release.

Currently, it includes a more robust version of the Costas loop (you specify
the natural freq and damping factor instead of the gains; it sets the gains
properly so that the system is more tolerant and locks better) as well as a
reworking of the CMA equalizer. I have yet to use this equalizer on a real
signal, only simulated multipath channels, so more experience would be good.

Note that if you are using this branch you should --disable-gr-trellis. I
banged up the API that is used in gr-trellis and haven't got back to fix it,
yet.

Tom