On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Marcus D. Leech <mle...@ripnet.com> wrote:

> Relatively simple flow-graph, not complete yet by any stretch of the
> imagination.
>
> It starts out innocuous enough, but really gets going after a while.  The
> RSS grows by about 150M/minute, the Virtual Size at a somewhat
>  slower pace.  After a few minutes of running, its RSS has grown enough
> that it's consuming *most* of the physical memory on the system,
>  and the kernel is starting to look for solutions to the problem, the
> virtual size grows to about 6.2Gbyte on my system before things get
>  utterly unusable, and I have to go to the console and kill it off.  If I
> reduce the bandwidth, it grows more slowly, but it still grows, and grows,
>  and grows, and grows.
>
> I was even well-behaved in my FFT size--4096 bins, which is a nice even
> multiple of the page-size and everything.
>
> The Gnu Radio memory behaviour is really starting to bug me.  A lot.  So
> much so that I'm contemplating going directly from UHD to my
>  application (in this case, a multi-channel riometer).  I really don't want
> to do that.  If I had the time to dedicate to it, and the required depth
>  of knowledge of the scheduler guts, I'd fix it myself, and post patches.
>  I understand that the memory tricks are stream-performance
>  "optimizations", but it's rather unoptimal when your system is eaten alive
> by stuff that, at least given a superficial glance, should be
>  fairly innocuous (except, perhaps for the 25Msps bit, which nobody would
> argue is "casual" by any measure).
>
> --
> Marcus Leech
> Principal Investigator
> Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium
> http://www.sbrac.org

Hi Marcus,

What are you using the vector sink for, I can't find anything that unloads
it? If you look at the source code, this block continuously calls
"push_back" on a STL vector container (element size is the GNURadio vector).
So if nothing ever empties it, then it should consume all the memory
space....?

--Colby