Just a couple of lines to cast my ballot in favor of Bob's complaint.

I had the same reaction in response to Fedora 15 reception of the Gnome3
thing.
That stuff does move too far away from the power-user-desktop concept I've
been enjoying for several years as a developer.

Also I'm a bit frustrated to have to go after that load of "tweaks" in order
to get a freshly installed system usable.

my best regards to everybody there

vince

2011/10/17 Alexandru Csete <oz9...@gmail.com>

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Tom Rondeau <trondeau1...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Robert McGwier <rwmcgw...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Install gnome-tweak-tools to get advanced settings for gnome to be able
> >> get your favorite settings after you install gnome-shell.
> >>
> >> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Robert McGwier <rwmcgw...@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>>

> http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2011/10/03/install-gnome-shell-in-ubuntu-11-10/

> > Or do what I did: apt-get install gnome-session-fallback and switch to
> Gnome
> > Classic Mode at the login screen. Removes Unity.
> > I haven't heard anyone say a good thing about Unity. It's an awful
> > environment to develop under. The first thing I do in Ubuntu now is stop
> > using it.
> > I'm now shopping around for another Linux distro if they keep going this
> > way.
> > Tom
>
> On Ubuntu 11.04 I have installed Xfce desktop ( http://www.xfce.org/ )
> - it is available via the package manager (or by installing xubuntu
> instead of regular ubuntu). It is similar to Gnome 2 and is very
> lightweight.
>
> Alex

Vincenzo Pellegrini
http://www.youtube.com/user/wwvince1