On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Sylvain Munaut <246...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> > I've added basic sample rate awareness to gr-fosphor via constructor
> > parameters and a set_rate() call. The GRC blocks now take a sample rate
> > parameter as well. The sink also creates an appropriate legend (kHz, MHz,
> > etc.) and applies it to the plot. I've tested it with WX, Qt, and GLFW
> > versions of the sink.
>
> Nice, but unfortunately I'm working on my own version of this.
>
> I wasn't really happy with the current set_range. So I'm doing a bit
> of refactoring. Basically the cl_state and gl_state struct will be
> kept around for strictly CL/GL stuff but most method will get the full
> fosphor struct as argument and I will put shared stuff and things not
> strictly CL/GL there. For example the sample rate is useful in CL to
> dynamically adapt the batch size and the time constants of fading to
> ensure low latency in low bitrate case and performance in high bitrate
> cases. And there is some similar stuff happenning with other types of
> set/get I wanted to put in so I decided to do the refactor first.

Great! Glad to hear it. You might still take a look at the changes to gl.c,
as they're orthogonal to your reorganization and it adds a nice autoranging
sample rate text and legend. I agree putting everything in a large struct
is the C-ish way to do things.

> > Sylvain, if you'd like to pull it back, it's in a Github repo at
> > g...@github.com:bistromath/gr-fosphor.git. I've also added a CMake check
> for
> > the Python OpenGL bindings, as I somehow managed to not have them
> installed
> > on my new machine.
>
> Interesting. Did that actually prevent build ? What was the symptom ?

> A choice I've made (albeit a possibly questionable one) was to only
> check for things required at build time.
> For example, I don't check you have WX Python installed either ... if
> you don't the import will fail in python but be caught and the sink
> will just not work but shouldn't prevent using the others and if you
> want the WX one, just install the dependencies afterwards and no need
> to rebuild gr-fosphor.

That's fine. Really it was just a matter of a poor user experience -- when
the Python OpenGL bindings aren't there, the WX import fails in
__init__.py, and all the user sees is "no block named wx_core_c". Perhaps a
better failure message in __init__.py is all that's needed.

--n