Hello,

>Has anyone actually managed to successfully install and run the latest
gnuradio in Windows 7

Yes, but not using those instruction, building from source is much more fun
:), but they look like they worked for you outside of that error.

Also If you Google your error other people are having that problem as well,
so it's not Gnuradio related but something with pyopengl on certain windows
systems. I'd say try installing an older version of pyopengl.

> I must admit to getting extremely frustrated with Gnuradio and its lack
or usability for those of us who are not professional programmers.

While I agree it's not quite user friendly it is a software defined radio
API and development system, so it's not gonna be like going to be like
installing a program and listening to the radio, you will need
some software savvyness to build a SDR. If you just want to use a SDR there
are many already made programs for individual tasks.

Andrew