On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM, Tom Rondeau <t...@trondeau.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:36 AM, Alick Zhao <alick9...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 02/24/2014 12:33 AM, YiZiRui Zhou wrote:
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>

> >> I'm a graduate student from China. I major in Computer Science and my
> >> research focus on wireless networks. Today, I'm glad to share some of my
> >> ideas on MIMO with you. (maybe a little pleonastic)
> >>

> > Nice to see a Chinese face here :)
> >

> >> PS: I work on this project for both study and research purpose, before
> >> it I have gone through many relative papers and tutorials on how to
> >> build a MIMO system in GNU Radio. So I feel that implementing a MIMO
> >> system in GNU Radio is feasible. Nevertheless, I have to treat it
> >> cautiously since it is really complicated to make it work. Now, I have
> >> already built an elementary MIMO node with two USRPs (figure of the AP
> >> is attached to the end of the Email) and I'm working on a new module
> >> (gr-mimo) based on tx_ofdm.grc and rx_ofdm.grc to implement uplink
> >> transmission. The next step is to debug and test the uplink
> >> transmission. Since there is no gr-mimo standard module in GNU Radio, I
> >> guess this project might be useful to GNU Radio beginners. If it has the
> >> honor of being involved in Google Summer of Code(GSoC) 2014, that would
> >> be fantastic. Anyway, I am eager to get some insights from you. :-)
> >>

> > Since you have done a lot of research, you should feel *confident* it is
> > feasible. I was involved in a MIMO project when I was doing my bachelor
> > thesis about two years ago, and we implemented a 2x2 MU-MIMO system with
> > CSI feedback and transmit precoding on USRP and GNU Radio. However, it
> > only implements downlink transmission and lacks of OFDM (so just narrow
> > band). Nevertheless it proved the feasibility.  Unfortunately we hadn't
> > furthered that research since then. It's really glad to see you want to
> > explore it tightly with upstream. I attach the link to my thesis report
> > (it is in Chinese) below, and hopefully you will find something helpful.
> >
> > [1]
> >
> http://cloud.alick.me/public.php?service=files&t=0a67a7f2d09a1b4385dc85018d487918
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Alick
> > Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug) user
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Alick
>

> Yes, and Matt Ettus and I proved that we could to 2x2 MIMO OFDM with
> GNU Radio on USRPs a number of years ago (there was not reason to
> think that we couldn't; just had to be done). Our code, though, was a
> complete mess and fragile at the time. It's even more obsolete now
> that we've replaced the OFDM layer. Which is why it's time to get this
> done properly in GNU Radio.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

As far as I am concerned, plenty of work has done on MIMO. While both of
the software(GNU Radio) and the hardware(USRP) are developing fast, many of
the source codes are not compatible. So, maybe I have to do this work from
the beginning, while former works are still instructive.
Do you think I should add this idea to the GR GSoC website?

Thanks,
Zhou