I removed everything that I could find related to gnu radio, uhd, usrp and then
reinstalled. It still showed the old version. I then ran ldd on
uhd_find_devices and it showed libuhd.so.003 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ so
after removing uhd again, i saw that library file was still there. I deleted it
and then reinstalled and it now finds the device and loads the firmware.

Thanks for the help,
Greg