Hi!

I am interested in the implementation of the DPSK demodulator block in GNU
radio. I have been profiling and debugging code to better understand the
implementation of this block. One thing I noticed is that all of the
baseband filtering happens in the time domain. I find this peculiar because
the convolution for the FIR filter is consuming ~30% of the call time
(specifically on the calculation of the inner product).

The raised cosine filter (in fll_band_edge) appears to be consuming much of
the CPU time during demodulation. Curious, I plotted the time required to
execute time domain and frequency domain FIR filters and found that even
for a low number of taps (55 in the DPSK demod example), the FFT version
preforms much better than the convolution approach.

My question is, what am I missing about the data path flow that makes time
domain filtering more attractive than frequency domain? It seems clear that
an FFT approach to filtering would preform better but the entire provided
demodulator block keeps the signal in the time domain. While I realize that
there are benefits from preforming the matched filter at the same time as
timing correction--as far as I can tell--these filters steps exist at a
different level than the baseband filtering.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with DPSK
demodulation implementation, and specifically anyone who has experience
with computationally efficient receivers.

~Thanks