It actually looks like the control channel for Motorola SmartNet is FSK: "On
the control (data) channel the base station transmits 84 bits frames at
3600 bit/s with direct frequency modulation of the carrier using Frequency
Shift Keying (FSK). "

I will at least see if I can get something that looks right out the other
side. Would it be best to use one of the GFSK examples in gr-digital?