Thanks for your answer Tom and sorry for the delay replying to you.

I tried setting the environment variable GRC_HIER_PATH but it didn't make
any difference. I also tried setting
GRC_PREFS_PATH
GRC_BLOCKS_PATH
HIER_BLOCKS_LIB_DIR

But my grc companion 3.7.6.1 keeps compiling the blocks to ~/.grc_gnuradio
Can you think of anything else I could try?
I've tried with Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 14.04.

Thanks,
Murray