Have now installed a new KDE64 in a new partition. When installing using src
only option, the install insists on fetching Python 2.6.  No change from my
earlier testing.

Then I decided to explore using rpm,src option, as I wanted to see if this
would attempt to search the installation database to find acceptable file
versions.

I am just showing a snippet from the python install, the local rpm ignored
* gnuradio
install rpm called (python)
rpm is not available locally   < -----------  ============= :: how is this
tested

---------------------
Here is the details of the locally installed python
[root@localhost gert]# rpm -qa python
python-2.7.9-1pclos2015
[root@localhost gert]#

---------------------

check remote repositories...
Installing from source: python
--2015-06-26 15:04:48--
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.4/Python-2.6.4.tar.bz2
Resolving www.python.org (www.python.org)... 103.245.222.223I have now got anew
KDE64 PCLinuxOS installation to work with. I have experimented with several
installs and got a bit more understanding of how I the ink it must be working.

As it can be seen the python will be found from external location.

Question:  Where is the determination made that local rpm not good enough.  Is
this in the file: /sandbox-3/pybombs/mod_pybombs/sysutils.py?

handy

That's very strange behavior to install Python 2.6. The dependency tree must
have identified that for some other package it was installing. This is, of
course, the problem with trying to use a general build overlay system like
PyBOMBS on top of the OS's package manager: there are so many of these distros
out there and they all behave differently.

Tom