On Wed, 2015-09-16 at 12:49 -0400, mle...@ripnet.com wrote:
> Sure, but if the flow-graph basically is decimated 10:1 by the time
> it reaches the log10, improvements in log10 are going to have very
> little impact.  It is, I would assert, boldly and perhaps brashly,
>  that log10 operations almost never need to be done at "line rate",
> since they are an artifice imposed by wanting to use standard
> engineering units.  There's very little need to do internal DSP math
> in
>  standard engineering units...

You are probably right but you also probably know what you are doing.
GNURadio is also a learning tool. As such, those of us who do not know
what they are doing, would find log10() and other mathematics useful as
we're reading/studying texts and specs. After a while, hopefully, we
figure things out.
It would also be nice to have a VOLK kernel that multiples a vector by
a constant:
   void
   volk_32f_s32f_multiply( float* vecbuffer,
                           const float scalar,
                           unsigned int num_points )
And an alias for volk_32f_s32f_normalize(): volk_32f_s32f_divide().
These would somewhat map to operations in MATLAB with less learners
asking "how do I...?".