Oh, sorry, I forgot to hit the "replace LaTeX by rendered formulas"; let
me re-do that, before I comment on your comments :)

Capture the same reference tone at $f_\text{ref}$ with both dongles,
tuned to $f_\text{tune} = f_\text{ref}-f_\text{offset}$, choose
$f_\text{offset}\approx \frac{f_\text{sample}}3$.
You would see a baseband tone at $f_{\text{offset},1}$ and
$f_{\text{offset},2}$, respectively, and since no two oscillators are
identical, $f_{\text{offset},1}\ne f_{\text{offset},2}$.
W.l.o.g., let $f_{\text{offset},1}$ be the tone as seen by your
"improved" dongle.

Multiply both signals; what should happen is intermodulation; use a
low-pass filter with a cutoff of ca $\frac{f_\text{sample}}4$, so that
you just get the difference frequency at $f_{\text{offset},2}\pm
f_{\text{offset},2}$.

Qt frequency sink, or quadrature demod->Qt time sink.

Cheers,
Marcus