The * is actually just an artifact of how that list is generated; it's
written by CMake when gathering the enabled audio engines; When running
cmake, you'll see something like

-- ######################################################
-- # Gnuradio enabled components
-- ######################################################
--   * python-support
--   * testing-support
[..]
--   * gr-atsc
--   * gr-audio
--   * * alsa
--   * * oss
--   * * portaudio
--   * gr-channels
[...]

And our beautiful hack to make alsa, oss, portaudio ... look like bullet
points under gr-audio is actually to get these the name "* alsa", "*
oss" and so on :D. That doesn't break automatic "grep-ability" to let
scripts check for any of these, and if you had something like

gnuradio-config-info --enabled-components|sed s'/;/\n/g'

it'd give you the "original" tree-ish looking structure.

so, for now, that's totally ok.
> Is there a way for me to figure out what configuration files are being
> read?
Hm, logging. Waaaaitasec. I'll have to look this up; will do later.

Best regards,
Marcus