Hi,
Seems like you got it. I'm writing here analysis and fixing steps for
future generations.

   1. Reproduce the problem by running 'python -c "from gnuradio import gr'
   - that should crash and print the error
   2. Running "which python" should show the python binary used, most
   probably /usr/bin/python
   3. 'port list | grep "lang/python"' will show the installed MacPort
   Python versions.
   4. Assuming your default Python is 2.7 ("python -V" to verify),  "port
   contents python27 | grep bin/python" will show the binaries installed by
   that Python 2.7 port, which will probably be /opt/local/bin/python2.7
   (which symlinks
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2.7).
   5. *Running '/opt/local/bin/python2.7 -c "from gnuradio import gr"'
   works as expected*
   6. So it's possible to work with GNU Radio as long as you use the
   correct Python binary. In my case, the PATH environment variable did have
   /opt/local/bin before /usr/local/bin, but MacPorts doesn't create a
   "python" symlink, so it can be fixed by either using "python2.7" (which
   exists in /opt/local/bin and will be used before the system's binary) or by
   creating a symlink with "ln -s /usr/local/bin/python2.7
   /usr/local/bin/python". After symlinking, 'python -c "from gnuradio import
   gr' works as expected.