Being all things to everyone is tough.  I recently contributed some code to
support the openSUSE package manager, zypper, in pybombs.  So universal
support is kind of an evolving feature.  Perhaps it would be a start to
simply limit the initial virtualenv support to python2.  I would suggest
that if one were in a virtualenv, you let that handle the pip version
(which should be referenced just by the pip command).  I would also submit
that python packages should not be added to the system via a package
manager if you're in a virtualenv.  This would alleviate some of the
package naming discrepancies between the versions.  I don't think
gr-recipes supports python3 packages right now for any packager.  Good
points nonetheless.

Jared.