In an effort to simplify this a bit, I created two flow graphs. One as the
server (dial tone frequencies sent to socket PDU) and a client (unpack the
socket data and send it to wav file sink). I was able to recreate the issue
with these simplified blocks when their TCP/IP path traverses the internet.
In order to post images and a better description I posted the issue on SO:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50119704/wavfile-sink-value-nan-can-not-be-represented-in-the-target-integer-type