The following call is how I read data into MATLAB from the GNURadio file
sink. I think this would almost work in Octave as well but I haven't tried.
If not it, it at least illustrates the proper format.

FileID = fopen('Filename','r');
import_channels = 2;
SamplesPerFrame = 1024;
import_format = 'float32';
x = fread(FileID,[import_channels SamplesPerFrame],import_format)';
complex_baseband = complex(x(:,1),x(:,2));

I have this embedded in a MATLAB system class. I extricated the
fopen/fread() calls for clarity.
HTH
--
Martin K.