I am trying to multiplex a number of signal sources where alignment to the
start of each signal source is important.  These need to be a mix of static
file sources with real-time diagnostic data interleaved, i.e., what I want to
achieve is:
Signal 1,
Short chunk of diagnostic information
Signal 2
Short chunk of diagnostic information
Signal 3
Short chunk of diagnostic information
...(repeat)...

If I connect 3 repeating file sources, interleaved with the diagnostic data
source to a stream mux block with 6 inputs and correctly set the lengths of
those files/diagnostic data in the stream mux lengths field, they do cycle in
the correct order, but the random dead time at the start of the flowgraph is
consumed by the first input on the mux block, resulting in a permanent offset.
So I end up with:

Garbage + Most of Signal 1
Short chunk of diagnostic information
Rest of Signal 1 + Most of Signal 2
Short chunk of diagnostic information
Rest of Signal 2 + Most of Signal 3
Short chunk of diagnostic information
Rest of Signal 3 + Most of Signal 1
Short chunk of diagnostic information
Rest of Signal 1 + Most of Signal 2
Short chunk of diagnostic information
Rest of Signal 2 + Most of Signal 3
Short chunk of diagnostic information
Rest of Signal 3 + Most of Signal 1
...(repeat)

I have a couple of ideas on how to approach this problem, but I could use
feedback on how hare-brained they are.

1)       This seems like the sort of thing that might be possible to address
via stream tags, but I haven't really wrapped my head around those completely.
What I really want is something like using the tagged stream mux block in a way
that doesn't start the first mux counter until a tag associated with the start
of the first file shows up, i.e., I want it to ignore the garbage data present
at the start of the flow graph.  This would also let the system periodically
recover if it drops some samples and needs to resynch.

2)      A brute force switch that just lets the garbage data pass through the
system for some period of time (1-2 seconds), then switches to the start of the
first file source and continues on its merry way.

Thoughts?
Thank you,

Dan