Hi Ron,
Why do you think this would be the case?
On Debian systems, Python can use site-packages from /usr/local as well, I have
several GR modules installed in /usr/local and they work just fine.
Moreover, you can have two versions of the same thing, one from the distro and
one built manually, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH will determine which one to run.

Regards,
Adrian