Thank you very much Marcus, Michael, Abin, and Ron, really appreciate your
To give some context, I just started designing a prototype reader to
implement a custom protocol for backscatter neural implants; very excited
to build my platform with GNU-radio :)

After reading all the information from your responses and links provided, I
still have a problem with my implementation. According to the buffer sizes
that you mentioned, I should not have this problem, but
I think I am missing something. I may need to re-design my
system/flow-graph, but I would like to get a last advice/help, if possible.
Thanks in advance!

*I want my block Decoder to consume_each(>8900) but I get overflows "D"
messages. See details below*

I have 2  general out of tree blocks: Gate and Decoder.
They both have*:*
*                ninput_items_required[0] = noutput_items;*
*                const gr_complex *in = (const gr_complex *)
input_items[0];*

*               gr_complex *out = (gr_complex *) output_items[0];   *

The flow-graph looks like
*uhd_source -> fir_filter_ccc -> Gate -> Decoder -> other blocks.   (Using
a USRP N210 + SBX)*
The idea is that I want the block *Decoder* to only process the input
samples when I have received *k* samples. Let's set k=~8900
So, at the *Decoder* block general_work(), I set  *consume_each(0) *until
*ninput_items[0]>=k.*

Basically, at the Decoder general_work() I have the following (just a
overview, not pseudo-code):
* if (ninput_items[0] <k)*
*       //do nothing*
*      //consume_each(0)*
*else*
*     // process the input samples*
*     //consume_each(k)*

My problem is that if I set k~8900
*, I get 'D' messages on the terminal. *
And one interesting? thing happens. When *ninput_items[0]* gets close to
*k=8500* (or higher value), is when I start getting  'D', and after
that *ninput_items[0] = 800*, no matter the value of *k*.

Thank you.
Cheers
Laura.