On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 4:23 PM Heikki Laamanen <heikki.laama...@dlc.fi>
wrote:

> > So you want to produce something like a stable 10MHz reference and a
> 1PPS which is synchronous to UTC using broadcast/terrestrial signals such
> as DVB-T, ATSC, LTE, etc?  And your edges can be within +/-50ns of actual
> UTC?
>

> Yes. All those signals (not sure about ATSC) are synchronized to UTC
> directly (via GPS) or indirectly (via PTP over fiber). Thus, the signals
> carry inherent timing information. There are naturally lots of issues
> related with radio wave propagation in each case like multipath propagation
> caused by reflections, groundwave/skywave phenomena concerning LF radio
> wave propagation, e.g. DCF-77 and the ancient C-Loran. The most ideal cases
> are line-of-sight wave paths like GPS satellite – GPS receiver.
>

> I have one more question. I have not found any GNU Radio object utilizing
> the possibility of controlling the ADC sampling frequency via controllable
> PLLs on the RF HW. All sync-related objects seem to use – e.g., polyphase
> filters, for adjusting sampling phase. Am I right?

Some radios use a DAC to control a VCTCXO with a pullability of
maybe +/-10ppm.  Others use an analog PLL to lock to an externally supplied
reference (like 10MHz or so).

Most would probably want to keep jitter to a minimum and track the sampling
offset digitally.  You may want to look into what it might take to do that
instead of expecting a clock to be perfect.

Brian