Tom,

What does your hermesNB_python.cc look like?

There should be a declaration for the binding in there that looks like:
    py::class_<block_name,
               gr::sync_block,
               gr::block,
               gr::basic_block,

or something to that effect.  It could be that modtool didn't add the
parent classes so that the inherited methods show up in the bindings.  If
so, that is a bug.  I'm just thinking that what you are seeing would be the
case if gr:;block wasn't a part of the declaration of the binding (which
should happen automatically)

I don't think it is related to the capitalization of the category name - in
the code, the module is all lowercase.

Josh