Hi, and thank you for making me feel welcome! I have already gotten help from
Ron, the author of gr-iqlevels. Though unfortunately, due to not being able to
open mailto links with with the Outlook web app, I responded to him with a
different email address, and therefore our discussion has not been included in
the mailing list correctly. Hopefully I am responding in a correct way now.
Below I will outline the solution for posterity.

Ron suggested using cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ../ with the motivation
"Since you're using the ppa, you installed in the wrong directory.". So for
gr-iqlevels the following sequence gets us past the error:

git clone g...@github.com:drmpeg/gr-iqlevels.git
cd gr-iqlevels/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ../
make
sudo make install
ctest -V

Now, the test will still fail because the QA class have actually not been
implemented (its just the template generated by gr_modtool). But if line 30 of
gr-iqlevels/python/qa_iqlevels.py is changed to instance =
iqlevels(1000000,True) then the test goes through.

Ron also suggested using sudo ldconfig after sudo make install. This does not
seem to make any difference for me though, and I am not sure if ldconfig
actually even does anything (it outputs nothing to terminal).

Providing the install prefix to cmake also resolved the corresponding issue
with the tutorial howto module, as expected. (I still initially ran into issues
with an "Unable to coerce endpoints"  error, but this was resolved when I
restarted the tutorial from the  beginning, so it was probably due to some
silly mistake that I wasn't  able to identify.)

Best regards,
Anton