@Johannes, that's neat.  I'll give that a shot.

@Marcus, I can't run GRC on the target as it doesn't have X.  I'm using
grcc to generate the block, I should have mentioned that.  When you say
IO-bound I'm guessing you mean because it's scanning the disk?  I haven't
benchmarked this hardware yet, but the filesystem is a ram disk so I would
expect it to be reasonably fast.  But this is something I can look into.

Thanks