Jeff,

When tests are done in C++, they also must be compiled, which adds to the
overall gnuradio compilation time.  In-tree the c++ tests are reserved
mainly for testing the really low level like buffers.
I agree with you that an all c++ target makes debugging easy, but you can
launch the python flowgraphs with the GDB debugger using program:
"/usr/bin/python3" and args: /path/to/the/qa_xxx.py.

Josh