On 02/05/2023 18:58, Marcus Müller wrote:
Hey Glen,

this is really cool stuff!

Tried to give this a bit of reach on Mastodon [1], but I'm far from the audience I used to have on twitter.

It's pretty cool that a galvanized pail does the job so well, would have thought zinc wouldn't be low-loss enough a surface coating, but was proven wrong by awesome results :) The best case of being wrong!
You wouldn't want to make extended wave-guides out of zinc-plated steel.  But for small numbers of lambda, the loss is   quite small.  I routinely make dish feeds for 21cm from 15cm (6") HVAC duct.   The spiral wound stuff is quite stiff and
  maintains its shape well...