On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 18:42, David Chisnall <thera...@sucs.org> wrote:

> On 24 Mar 2011, at 15:51, Martin Dietze wrote:
>
> FreeBSD lets you update third-party packages independently of the core OS.
>  This seems much more sane than the approach of most Linux distributions,
> where they try to make third-party packages conform to the distribution's
> release cycle, but I suppose that's required since everything in a Linux
> distribution is a third-party package.

I can install third-party .debs on Debian and Ubuntu whenever I want, and
add third party repositories. In fact, as you know, Debian has unstable and
testing, and even experimental. Dependency checks can cause issues, but so
they can on FreeBSD, right?

> Dirk Meyer does a really good job of keeping GNUstep ports (used to build
> packages on FreeBSD) up to date, so you can typically just update your
> installed packages and get the latest versions of stuff.
>
> The gnustep port is a metaport, which just depends on a load of GNUstep
> stuff.  When you run this command, it grabs the latest versions and compiles
> them.  You can add -P to grab the binary packages if you prefer, although
> this won't work for anything that's GPLv3 or has a license that prohibits
> binary distribution.  Since the GNUstep tools are now GPLv3, we no longer
> have pre-built binaries for FreeBSD, so you need to build from ports.

Speaking of *BSD and ports… Is anyone working on MacPorts packaging? It
looks abandoned. I tried to set up a local MacPorts repository and update
the Portfile, but I'm confused by how Portfile specifies where to get
.tar.gz from. Overall, I'm not sure how the entire system works.

--
Regards,

Ivan Vučica