Without looking deeper into this, I would highly suspect that window
manager hints (such as those specified in ICCCM
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Client_Communication_Conventions_Manual>
and EWMH <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Window_Manager_Hints>) are
not applied completely correctly. But you should first ensure that GNUstep
is indeed doing something wrong; it is also fairly possible that OpenBox
doesn't do things correctly. What happens with Metacity and WindowMaker?

I'd start investigation by trying to use wmctrl
<http://tomas.styblo.name/wmctrl/> to determine EWMHints -- I never used
it, but it claims to be able to interact with EWMH atoms -- and xwininfo to
determine ICCCM-defined things. Then I'd try figuring out where the
incorrect stuff is done in gnustep-back (if it's done incorrectly at all).

See ICCCM spec
<http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/xorg-docs/specs/ICCCM/icccm.html>
and EWMH spec <http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html>
.

While cursorily reminding myself of the specs, I ran into the suggestion
that EWMH window type stored in _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE should determine the
window order, as should _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE.

So I'd start investigation by looking at interaction between OpenBox and
value of _NET_WM_STATE/_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 9:07 AM, Lundberg, Johannes <
johan...@brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:

> This applies to decor/borderless windows (<decor>no</decor> in openbox
> rc.xml).
>
> If there are decors, it works as expected.
>
> --
> Johannes Lundberg
>

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Lundberg, Johannes <
> johan...@brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I tried several different window managers on Linux and on all of them I
>> can not get GNUstep apps to play nicely with other apps when it comes to
>> windows stacking order.
>>
>> Currently I am using openbox and trying to configure an always on top X11
>> app but the GNUstep app gets on top when given focus even though it
>> shouldn't. Other apps (stock X11 apps) do not get on top when focused.
>>
>> Anyone know any fix for this?
>>
>> Best regards
>> --
>> Johannes Lundberg
>>

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> 秘密保持について:この電子メールは、名宛人に送信したものであり、秘匿特権の対象となる情報を含んでいます。
> もし、名宛人以外の方が受信された場合、このメールの破棄、およびこのメールに関する一切の開示、
> 複写、配布、その他の利用、または記載内容に基づくいかなる行動もされないようお願い申し上げます。
> ---
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information in this email is confidential
> and intended solely for the addressee.
> Disclosure, copying, distribution or any other action of use of this
> email by person other than intended recipient, is prohibited.
> If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in
> error, please destroy the original message.

Ivan Vučica
i...@vucica.net