On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 6:45 PM H. Nikolaus Schaller <h...@goldelico.com>
wrote:

> just for the records because it might look like a green field:
>
> we have a browser and a browser framework for quite a while.
>
> But currently nobody is working on them:
>
> http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/showdetail.php?app=8
> http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/SimpleWebKit

We have an HTML viewer, and it's quite good at that. But it's not a
browser, and should not be -- it's too much work for too little benefit,
not to mention performance can only suffer.

- Can it do 3d transforms?
- Does it do WebRTC and WebGL?
- Will I be able to access Outlook.com and Google Docs in it?
- How well do web applications self-declare support for it?

There are really good engines that support running web-based applications
well. Yet even long-standing, reasonably well written engines such as
Opera's Presto are being dropped.

SWK fills a need for a performant HTML viewer, but is not a proper web
browser engine.

A good GNUstep browser would use an existing engine, but integrate with a
GS-centric environment:
- by using GNUstep's theme for its chrome,
- by exposing GNUstep's Services in its textboxes and for its images,
- by using GNUstep's save panels, by understanding the concept of bundles,
- by storing its preferences and cache inside GNUstep's folder structure
(~/GNUstep/),
- by registering web shortcuts (e.g. .url files) with GNUstep's extension
registry,
- by using GS menus (whatever they are as configured by the user) and
therefore by using GS-like keyboard shortcuts
- in case we have a 'quit app quickly, but restore NSDocuments and its
windows on start', integrate with that
etc.

Providing an alternate implementation for use by Vespucci seems useful.