Hi all,

I tried to install a different window manager on this Ubuntu 16.04 box to check
out whether the problem is window manager related. I tried Window Maker

        add-apt-repository ppa:profzoom/wmaker
        apt-get update
        apt-get install wmaker

and was even able to select that on the login screen. But logging in got me
immediately rerouted to the login screen. So it simply did not work. I tried a
bunch of other window managers from

        https://www.ubuntupit.com/install-various-desktop-environment-ubuntu/

without success. Not one wanted to work. Pretty annoying and discouraging
experience so far. The machine is now completely messed up. I not even get back
into the original Unity 8 desktop. After a reboot I end up on some kind of xfce
login screen with no option to choose a different window manager. :-(

It might be the time for a complete reinstall of the OS. Since the Linux was
preinstalled on this machine I do not even have an install CD and would have to
create one first. This brings me to the question which distro to use.

What's the quickest and cleanest way to set up a Linux/GNUstep machine on
current hardware? Which distro do you recommend? Is there a todo-list somewhere
to get from naked hardware to a working GNUstep desktop somewhere?

These kind of problems made me stick to Solaris and MacOSX for so long. Both
just worked. This Linux crap gives me a hard time .. :-(

Hints greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

 Andreas