Derek

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 1:44 PM Derek Fawcus <
dfawcus+lists-gnustep-disc...@employees.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 10:52:36AM +0000, David Chisnall wrote:
> > Oh, and with ARC, all of the C++ implementations have correct memory
> > management for Objective-C, for free.
>
> While dropping support for GCC does not strike me as a problem,
> switching the core implementation to depend upon C++ may well do.

I'm not sure what to say to this other than LOL.  Given that C++ still
doesn't have some of the dynamic features of even the original ObjC it
seems quite impossible.  Also it contradicts the entire purpose of the
framework...   moving on...

> How many developers are comfortable with C++?

I am comfortable with it, but not for the purposes of GNUstep.

> I gave up on it a number of years ago, simply because IMO it was
> too complex and fragile; basically I viewed it as an engineering
> nightmare.

Gave up on what?  GCC or C++?

> Every project I've seen using it (either public, or commercial)
> seem to use a different subset, and it can be difficult to spot
> when a mechanism outwith that subset accidentally creeps in.

???

> > Even today, I believe the Cairo back end is still using the 'toy' font
> > APIs and not the ones that integrate with Harfbuzz, so we get quite poor
> > kerning with Cairo and miss some important features.
>
> I noticed that a few years ago.  I'd have thought changing the Cairo
> backend to use the real API should be independent of any support for
> other backends (xlib, art).

Perhaps this is worth looking into.

> DF

This thread was not meant to discuss deprecation but to determine the gap
that exists between gcc's implementation of ObjC and clang's.   I believe
David summed it up succinctly.

Yours, GC
--
Gregory Casamento