yes I did. the checkout is fine.
I just found a way to work around

after cmake .. ...
I edit CMakeFiles/objc.dir/link.txt and remove the word "pthread" in it. I
can't figure out where it comes from. I have to leave this to the Cmake
experts..

cmake also complains about some project() missing but that seems to be just a
warning.

Maybe this might be triggered by a new cmake. I downloaded the cmake 3.16 today
from cmake.com <http://cmake.com/>. The stock debian cmake (3.13.4) is not good
enough for libobjc2 apparently.

Now I can compile gnustep-base

The following tests are failing:

base/NSArray/blocks.m:
Failed test:       blocks.m:31 ... Can forward enumerate array concurrently
using a block

base/NSRunLoop/dispatch.m:
Skipped set:       dispatch.m 118 ... No libdispatch, no blocks support or no
runloop integration hooks in libdispatch

and  one more about an empty plist file.

The dispatch one puzzles me a bit because libdispatch was explicitly installed
and
export OBJCFLAGS="-fblocks" was set

Not sure if I should worry about that. Personally I don't use
"GrandCentralDispatch" aka libdispatch but I usually want to build the base
libraries so someone could use it.

gnustep-gui complains about

        configure: WARNING: The International Components for Unicode (ICU)
development headers and libraries do not appear to be available on this system.

        despite libicu63  and libicu-dev packages being installed

./configure --disable-icu-config

fixes that (apparentyl theres no pkg-config file for libicu)

a few warnings about depreciated stuff in CUPS,  I have a gnustep-gui

    724 Passed tests
     15 Skipped sets
      1 Dashed hope

I also noted that gnustep-base is version 0.27.0 and gui and back are 0.28.0.
Intentionally?