Hi Liam,

> On 14 Dec 2021, at 14:17, Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 at 00:08, Sergii Stoian <stoyan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For the sake of truth - NextSpace has 3 binary releases (RPMs). Please look
>> carefully here https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/releases.
>> Last 0.90 release support 3 bistro: CenOS 7, CentOS 8 and Fedora 31.
>
> Aha! That is excellent.  I had missed that.
>
> I will see if I can install it in a VM.

I’m sure you can. :)

> Also it includes install script and installation process pretty much simple
> even for non-technical person like you.
>
> Um. "Not a programmer" != "non-technical person".
>
> I've been a *nix sysadmin since 1988 and working with Linux since
> 1996. I have designed, implemented, built and supported more networks
> than I can remember, and systems I built and ran handled $600M of
> business per day, every day, for years on end, with the only downtime
> being due to external factors such as leased line failure.
>
> I am, I think, very much a technical person and have been for my whole career.
>
> The thing is, I know my strengths and weaknesses, and while I *can*
> program in 3 or 4 languages, I am not good at it. So I focus on what I
> am good at, not what I am bad at.

My apologies for my ignorance! I was confused with your reply to Xavier
presenting yourself as “technical writer and journalist”.
I’m deeply sorry!

>> Some time ago I’ve started NextSpace development on FreeBSD. I’ve
>> consciously switched to Linux for 2 reasons: most commercial applications
>> are written for Linux (RHEL and Ubuntu) and FreeBSD lacks such powerful
>> system-level utilities like UDisks (for automatic removable media
>> management).
>
> I agree regarding FreeBSD.
>
> Do you think it would be easy, or hard, or near-impossible to get the
> NEXTSPACE desktop running on Ubuntu or on Debian?

It is absolutely possible. NEXTSPACE is not bound to RedHat-based distros!
Moreover here
https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/tree/master/Packaging/Debian
<https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/tree/master/Packaging/Debian> you can
find some work made by Patrick Georgi to create Debian packages.

Sergii