Hi,

we used to have the Software Index, contributed by Nikolaus Schaller.
This piece of software went missing during the site upgrade - the old PHP code doesn't work.

I see three possible approaches

1) Try to update it and get it work again. Or maybe Nikolaus has an updated version already?
2) Rewrite it in GSWeb, possibly migrating the old DB.
3) drop it totally.

I like 2) because it would show off GSWeb, but it is a lot of work, I don't know it and so I could not do much on it, at least not initially!

I would 3)drop it though as the current state of things. I felt it like a duplicate of the more tedious, but richer, index on Wiki, which is working again.

https://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Category:Applications

Sure, the software index could have been a sort of AppStore, thus providing binaries, information for commercial software, et al. However, at the end of the day, it was a preconfigured list with a screenshot and mostly tarballs.

I still believe, that for the current stat and foreseeable future, the best way to distribute GS apps is either through the corresponding package manager of the distribution, through a specific add-on repository (which we don't have but could) or source code. Or in future, installers. So I relativize the use of SWI and prefer to go update the Wiki pages.

what's your point?

Riccardo