On 11/3/2011 1:25 PM, Gregory Boyce wrote:
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Daniel C.<dcrooks...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:06 AM,<ma...@mohawksoft.com>  wrote:
On 11/3/2011 at 10:11 AM, Bill Horne wrote:
This is a problem that can be easily solved by using end-to-end
encryption. The capability is already built-in to every common email
client.
Assuming your ISP allows encryption to a server on your premises. Most
email servers are outside of your premises and thus in the custody of a
"provider." The problem is that there is no 4th amendment protection for
your data in the custody of a vendor. They can be ordered to hand over
your data, unencrypted, by any number of government agencies.
I'm not sure what you're saying.  Email clients can encrypt and
decrypt - there's no need to rely on the provider to do any work, and
you don't need an email server at your home to encrypt an email before
you send it, or decrypt after it's received.

-Dan
I suspect he's talking about transport encryption (SSL/TLS) while
you're talking about message encryption (PGP/GPG)

I can't speak for Mr. Boyce, but _I_ was talking about _end_ _to_ _end_ encryption, i.e., encrypting data at the originating MUA, in such a way that only the intended recipient(s) are able to decrypt it, usually using the built-in functionality of their MUA. Some systems use X.509 certificate-based cryptography, and some use GPG/PGP. Neither of those methods depends on the MTA(s) or servers in between the MUA(s) involved.

Bill

--
Bill Horne
774-219-7638 (cell)