On 01/03/2013 01:56 PM, Rich Pieri wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 13:10:27 -0500
Mark Woodward <ma...@mohawksoft.com> wrote:

Well, the DOS version of Windows, windows 1.x through Windows ME,
didn't have TCP until Windows 3.1(1) (as winsock). The 386 enhanced
version, I'm not sure where that was implemented or by whom.
Microsoft. It was code named Wolverine.

The Windows NT/32 bit OS/2 was taken from BSD.
The TCP/IP stack that shipped with NT 3.1 was based on System V
STREAMS, with code licensed from Spider.

The TCP/IP stack that shipped with Windows 95 and Windows/NT 3.5 is an
updated version of Wolverine. It has been part of Windows 9x and /NT up
to the present.

Here's a few excerpts from an article you may or may not be aware of....

"Now, some of Spider's code (possibly all of it) was based on the TCP/IP stack in the BSD flavors of Unix. These are open source, but distributed under the BSD license, not the GPL that Linux is released under. Whereas the GPL states that any software derived from GPL'ed software must also be released under the GPL, the BSD license basically says, "here's the source, you can do whatever you want, just give credit to the original author." "

"I won't even swear on a stack of bibles that the "new" TCP/IP now shipping in NT/2000/XP and Windows 95/98/Me is completely free of the old code from Spider. Since I don't work there I don't have access to the source code. Certainly some parts of TCP (the checksum calculation comes to mind) are the same everywhere and once someone has written an optimized version, why rewrite it? And once again, this would be perfectly legitimate for Microsoft to do under the license. "

Lastly, this interesting (and telling) quote:
"Anyway the FreeBSD programmers who reported all this to the Wall Street Journal can't see the NT TCP/IP source either, so they can't have been referring to that. "

This is *exactly* why BSD license is bad. Microsoft didn't copy the BSD stack, Spider did. The intellectual property rights in this case is a mess. Certainly there have been code drift from initial port, but the BSD license, allowing corporations to hide code that other people wrote, will keep this debate from being settled. I argue that it is more BSD than not, and you argue that it is not based on BSD. I wish we could look at the code to settle the argument. Oh! wait, we can't because the BSD license lets microsoft hide the code that doesn't belong to it.

The OS/2 TCP/IP stack was written by IBM based on the BSD stack. It
might actually be the BSD stack ported to OS/2 but I'm not sure about
that.

Have any more misconceptions that you need clarified? I got plenty of
time to poke holes in your proclamations.
Thanks, but, I have worked closely with Microsoft since the early DOS and OS/2 1.x days. I've had many business trips to Redmond while working on system level components from Windows 2.x, 3.x NT, OS/2 1.x and Portable OS/2 which became Windows NT. I Saw the OS/2 presentation manager running on the NT kernel before it was known as the NT kernel. I've published a couple articles on Windows (NT and DOS) device driver development and contributed a couple chapters to "Windows of the 3.1 Masters." I consulted with Sun for Java on Windows NT for medical applications, Dragon naturally Speaking for performance on NT, when Keithley Metrabyte was writing their own drivers, I designed the Windows (95/NT) portable infrastructure. I was also the architect of the Windows implementation of Microsoft's original "Microsoft Home" "Creative Writer" and "Fine Artist" products while at Turning Point. I think I have it covered. I work on Linux, because I prefer Linux. That does not imply that I do not know Windows.